When Holy Guardian Angels Parish was formally established in Hyde Park in 1929, it began with fewer than 100 families. Many of its earliest parishioners were Italian immigrants who had settled in Temple during the 1920s. With limited transportation and the nearest Italian Catholic church several miles away in Reading, these families dreamed of having a parish closer to home.
The roots of the parish reached back to St. Anthony’s Chapel, a small house of worship completed at Eighth and Columbia avenues in Temple in 1926. On November 23, 1929, the Rev. Frederick F. Lanshe celebrated his first Mass there as the first pastor of the newly formed Holy Guardian Angels Parish. A donated home at 3120 Kutztown Road also served as Father Lanshe’s residence and as an additional place of worship while plans moved forward for a permanent parish building.
The parish emerged at the opening of the Great Depression, when unemployment and financial hardship touched nearly every neighborhood. Yet the congregation remained determined to create a permanent spiritual home for Catholic families in Hyde Park and the surrounding community.
The First Holy Guardian Angels Church on Kutztown Road
Ground was broken on June 7, 1931, for a new $30,000 combination church and school along Kutztown Road. Designed by Reading architect G. C. Freeman and constructed by the Fink Construction Company, the building included a church auditorium, classrooms and a social hall. Its English Norman architectural character helped distinguish it from the surrounding buildings.
The new Holy Guardian Angels Church and School was formally dedicated on November 8, 1931. Cardinal Dennis Dougherty, Archbishop of Philadelphia, presided at a solemn high Mass, while Monsignor John J. Bonner delivered the sermon. This dedication marked the opening of the parish’s first permanent church building on Kutztown Road.

Holy Guardian Angels Combination Church/School on left
A Sanctuary of Light and Reverence
The surviving photograph of the church’s altar reveals how much care was placed into the interior.

Holy Guardian Angels Alter
At the center stands a tall, tabernacle structure crowned by a domed canopy and cross. Its Gothic-inspired carving draws the eye upward, emphasizing the sacred character of the altar. The tabernacle is framed by symmetrical architectural screens with pointed arches, delicate tracery and small decorative towers.
On either side, statues of angels stand within recessed niches. Their folded hands and bowed expressions direct attention toward the Eucharist at the center of the sanctuary. The arrangement reflects the name of the parish itself—Holy Guardian Angels—and gives the altar an atmosphere of quiet protection and prayer.
Tall candles rise throughout the sanctuary, their warm light reflected across the pale altar furnishings. White lilies and chrysanthemums are joined by pink and burgundy flowers, creating a rich but balanced display. Palms and greenery soften the architectural forms and give the altar a sense of life and celebration.
The altar table is covered with a white lace cloth, while a darker embroidered frontal hangs beneath it. Gold-toned patterns and sacred imagery contrast with the light-colored sanctuary above. Every part of the arrangement—from the candles and flowers to the angels and tabernacle—appears intended to lead the worshipper’s attention toward the Eucharistic presence.
The photograph captures the altar as it would have appeared during a major feast or special period of devotion. Dozens of candles illuminate the sanctuary, while flowers almost completely surround the central tabernacle. It is a beautiful example of the traditional Catholic belief that a church interior should engage the senses and lift the mind toward God.
The Work of Alexander B. Imhoff
The church’s artistic character was strengthened by frescoes completed under the direction of Alexander B. Imhoff, a Reading-area artist known for religious painting.
Alexander belonged to one of the most important families associated with church art in Berks County. His father, Berthold Imhoff, created an extensive body of murals and frescoes found in churches and private homes throughout Reading, Berks County and eastern Pennsylvania. His paintings reportedly appeared in 18 Reading churches and in 45 communities across the region.
Berthold’s most celebrated local work was the ceiling of St. Peter’s Catholic Church in Reading, which featured 224 life-sized figures processing toward the altar. The rectangular painted panels were produced in Canada and shipped to Reading, where Alexander installed them.
After Berthold moved to Canada in 1914, Alexander remained in Pennsylvania and carried on the family’s artistic tradition. He restored many of his father’s paintings in Berks County, including works at churches in Bern Township and Oley, and continued working until his death in the 1960s.
Giving the Church an Air of Permanence
The timing of the church’s completion is especially meaningful. Holy Guardian Angels was still a young parish, and its members were living through a period of economic uncertainty. Yet they chose to create a sanctuary adorned with stained glass, religious paintings, Gothic details, flowers, candles and an elaborately arranged altar.
The result was more than decoration. Sacred art gave the congregation a sense of continuity and permanence. The church may have been newly built, but its interior drew upon centuries of Catholic architecture and devotional tradition.
For parishioners entering from Kutztown Road, the sanctuary would have offered a dramatic change in atmosphere. Outside were the anxieties of employment, family responsibilities and the Depression. Inside were candlelight, music, polished furnishings, guardian angels and the bright central tabernacle.
The altar became the visual and spiritual heart of the church. It was where Mass was celebrated, where children received the sacraments and where families gathered for baptisms, weddings, funerals, feast days and ordinary Sundays.
The Opening of the Present Church
As the parish continued to grow after World War II, the original combination church and school could no longer adequately serve the congregation. A new Colonial-style church was therefore constructed on additional parish land along Kutztown Road.
The present Holy Guardian Angels Church was completed and opened in 1963. Designed by Reading architect Paul U. Koch and constructed by C. H. Schlegel and Son, the new church cost approximately $700,000 and provided seating for about 700 worshippers. Once it opened, the original 1931 church was converted entirely to school use.
The parish had also entered a new chapter of diocesan history. When the Diocese of Allentown was created in 1961, Holy Guardian Angels became part of the new diocese. Today, the parish identifies the present church at 3121 Kutztown Road as a structure built in 1963.
The old church continued serving generations of students until the construction of a new education center in 2001. After a final decommissioning ceremony, the original church and school building was demolished in June of that year.
A Community’s Enduring Testament
The early history of Holy Guardian Angels is ultimately a story of faith expressed through action.
Families with limited means built a church, opened a school and created a place where future generations could worship. Alexander B. Imhoff contributed the work of a respected local religious artist, while the altar and sanctuary embodied the beauty and reverence that the young parish hoped to preserve.
The photograph of the altar allows that vanished interior to be seen again: glowing candles, abundant flowers, prayerful angels, a lace-covered altar and the central tabernacle beneath its carved canopy. It captures a church prepared with extraordinary care and a congregation that believed even a modest neighborhood church should offer something beautiful to God.
Holy Guardian Angels was not built merely from brick, plaster and wood. It was built from donated labor, shared sacrifice, artistic devotion and the hope that the parish would become a lasting spiritual home.
The first permanent church on Kutztown Road opened with its dedication on November 8, 1931. The present church followed in 1963, carrying the faith and traditions of the original church into a new and larger sanctuary. Together, those buildings represent nearly a century of Catholic life in Hyde Park.
Leave A Comment