The Temple Inn was erected in 1928 by Morris Sassaman as Penn Temple Hotel at the intersection of Kutztown Road and Fifth Street Highway. It had 25 rooms and two banquet halls. Sassaman sold the facility in 1936. A bar, which operated on ground level in later years, was called the Cafe Continental. The night spot was a pretty classy one in its prime. After standing empty for a number of years, Pennsylvania National Bank purchased the property from Temple Inn Corp. for $225,000. The building was demolished on February 26, 1997. A bank now occupies the comer.