The Crystal Palace Hot Wiener Shop was a downtown Reading dining landmark for 82 years.
Frank Pestlikes, a native of Rhodes, Greece, started the business at 744 Penn Street in a part of what had once been the Crystal Palace Hotel and Market House. The building, erected in 1890 at 744-746 Penn Street, was designed by architect A. F. Smith.
Frank operated the business there for 40 years before his son, Jordan, moved the business to 56 South Sixth Street in 1968, well ahead of the proposed demolition of most of the 700 block of Penn Street for a proposed enclosed shopping mall.
The dining spot was known for its Coney Island-style hot dogs, particularly the sauce, which was a secret to all but Jordan.
The Crystal Palace closed temporarily in late 2013 when Jordan had to undergo knee surgery. On January 1, 2015, Jordan Pestlikes, and his wife Phyllis, closed the business because of health problems.