The West Lawn Elementary School was located at the corner of Riegel and Nobles Street. The handsome building, erected in 1914, generally housed 8 classes, from 1st to 6th grade. An Eagle article in 1917 commented: “Probably no single building erected in the growing village of West Lawn has been more generally appreciated by the community than the schoolhouse that contains a large auditorium in which public events can be held.”
Below: West Lawn Elementary School, 1957.
Below: Aerial View of West Lawn Elementary School, 1932.
On April 15, 1911, West Lawn Borough purchased from Dill and Fenstermacher lots numbering 588 to 601 for the sum of $2,495 whereon to erect a school house. On January 1, 1914, a special meeting was called for the purpose of taking action relative to the erection of a new school house and the employment of architects to erect a four room building.
Bids for the West Lawn building were opened on March 20. The general contract was awarded to Harry M. Gerhart of Ephrata at his bid of $11,754.74. Two rooms at the West Lawn building were ready to start school on Monday, October 12, 1914.
Two oak trees on the school lot were planted in 1919 in honor of a teacher, Mr. Frymoyer, who was killed during WWI.
Below: Two oak trees on the school lot were planted in 1919 in honor of a teacher, Mr. Frymoyer, who was killed during WWI.
Below: The oak tree on the left was struck by lightening July 14, 1996.
Below: Image Gallery – Touch or Click Image
In 1925 permission was granted to the parent and teacher association to lay out a tennis court on the West Lawn School grounds. Eight additional classrooms, an auditorium and a gymnasium were erected in 1928.
Completion and opening of Cornwall Terrace Elementary School in Fall 1974 heralded the end of this Wilson School District building. The West Lawn Elementary School was demolished in 1977 by Empire Wrecking to make way for a new Borough Playground. The bell that was housed in the tower was given to the Wilson School District. Many people came to the site to claim a brick from the building as a momento. The “Public School” sign is still in the Borough’s possession.
Below: Demolition of West Lawn Elementary School, 1977
Below: Borough Playground, Riegel and Nobles Street, 2010
Join Our Newsletter
Enter your email address to subscribe to GoReadingBerks and receive notifications of new posts by email.