Out-lot 34 – American House
In 1743, Richard and Thomas Penn (sons of William Penn the founder of Pennsylvania, and grandsons of Sir William [...]
Pendora Park – The Great White City
On July 25th, 1907, Pendora Park, a commercial amusement park in East Reading formally opened to the public. People [...]
Reading News Building, 22-24 North Fifth
The City of Reading has witnessed the appearance and disappearance of numerous newspapers since the origin of the town's [...]
The Corrupt City: Reading, Pennsylvania
Organized crime is a society that seeks to operate outside the control of the American people and their governments. [...]
Dengler’s – Mount Penn Borough
Mount Penn was known as "Dengler's" from 1841 to 1902, having been named after George Dengler, Esq., the first [...]
End of Trolley Service in Reading, PA
At the turn of the 20th century there were few means of travel. Of course, there was the horse [...]
McCrory’s 5 and 10 Cent Store – Penn Square
McCrory Stores or J.G. McCrory's was a chain of five and dime stores in the United States based in [...]
Penn Hardware Company, Reading, PA
The Penn Hardware was founded in Reading, PA in 1877 by Charles Raymond Heizmann, who became the president of [...]
Neversink – “A Reclaimed Mountain”
The city of Reading is bounded on the west by the Schuylkill River, on the east by Mount Penn, [...]
History of St. Paul’s Church
On Sunday, May 24th, 1846, dedication services were held at the newly built Saint Peter's church. The congregation of [...]
History of Saint Peter the Apostle RC Church
As a preface to the history of Saint Peter the Apostle R.C. Church in Reading, it may be of [...]
Church of the Most Blessed Sacrament, Bally, PA
The first Catholic congregation to be established in Pennsylvania was in 1734 when Father Greaton, S. J., a missionary [...]
Buttonwood Street Reservoir
The Buttonwood Street Reservoir consists of two tanks. The south tank was completed in 1895 and covered in 1910. [...]
Camelot on Neversink – Locals not Welcomed
In November 1891, a contract was issued to local builder Levi H. Focht to erect the Neversink Mountain Hotel, [...]
Borough of Sinking Spring – Named After Spring
The date of the beginning of the settlement of Sinking Spring was in 1793, although there were settlers in [...]
A & W Root Beer, 3801 Perkiomen Ave.
A & W Root Beer, 3801 Perkiomen Ave. opened in 1964. According to a 1965 directory, Leroy A. and [...]
The Dreamland Park Murders
Dreamland Park was a small amusement park located on Pricetown Road in Ruscombmanor Township, Pennsylvania. The park, which was [...]
Neversink Scenic Drive
In 1966, the Reading Automobile Club proposed the construction of a scenic drive on top of Neversink Mountain. Although [...]
Reading Air Show
The first air show at Reading, PA was held during dedication ceremonies for the newly built municipal airport in [...]
History of Holy Guardian Angels Boy Scouts of America Troop 161
The application for charter for a new troop that was to become troop 161 was completed on May 1, [...]
Crystal Palace Hot Wiener Shop
The Crystal Palace Hot Wiener Shop was a downtown Reading dining landmark for 82 years. Frank Pestlikes, a native [...]




















