Read’s Department Store was located on the northeast corner of 7th and Penn Streets. This imposing 3-story building was under construction just as the Great Depression struck in 1929; consequently, the intended business firm went bankrupt and the store went up for sale in 1931. Read’s Department Store took possession and remained in business here until sold to Gilman’s in 1960. Eight years earlier, the Gilman store on the southwest corner of 7th and Penn closed and the owners moved to Florida, until they decided to return to Reading in 1960. This store had an enormous amount of show-window space to feature its goods. In the 1930’s, Read’s sold a wide selection of merchandise, including the latest appliances. In latter days, ladies clothing occupied most of the display-windows.