Reading Girls' High School, Reading, PAReturn to Historical Articles
Built as a Girls' High School in 1896, this handsome structure at the northeast corner of Fourth and Court was once considered by many the most impressive public building in the city. Following completion of "unified Reading High School" in 1927, at which time the girls moved to 13th and Douglass to "the Castle on the Hill," this became South West Junior High School. After conversion and enlargement of new Chestnut and Carpenter to present-day Southwest, in 1936, this became 4th and Court, a school for special-needs children. The building was razed in 1961 following completion of the Special Education Center at Old Wyomissing Road and Parkside Drive, South.
Former Girls' High School, 4th and Court Streets, Reading, PA. This view is looking northeast.
Old view of the North side of the 400 block of Penn Street showing the former Girls' High School in the distance. The north side of the 400 block of Penn contained THREE full service Super Markets within about 250 feet: B & J Saylor's on the corner (not shown), Acme Markets two doors east, and a break that held off street parking for the Acme (as well as a Moore's Diner) and then an A&P Super Market. The only place in the City where this occurred.
Former Girls' High School, 4th and Court Streets, Reading, PA.